Virtually all residential areas have heating batteries. Quite often they have not quite an attractive look, which can ruin even the most stylish interior. When changing batteries is very expensive, but I want every detail in the room to look beautiful, to help come decorative screens for radiators.
What is the screen for the battery?
The screen for radiators is a decorative solution, which is designed to improve the heating zone. In addition, the subject performs a protective function. This is especially true when there are small children in the room.
Decorative screens differ from each other not only by the manufacturer, but also the material of manufacture, dimensions and method of attachment. To create a protective element, wood, plastic, acrylic, glass or metal is used. Dimensions of screens for radiators depend on the number of sections of the battery. But most often the parameters of the decorative part are the following: 600 x 300 mm, 600 x 600 mm, 600 x 900 mm, 600 x 1200 mm and 600 x 1500 mm. Here you need to remember that the screen itself can be as large as a battery, and less than it. This point depends on the design of the decoration.
Protective elements made of wood have received the widest distribution, since such decorative screens for radiators with their own hands do not make much effort. It is enough to have only the necessary materials. Suitable sheets of plywood, chipboard, MDF or natural wood.
The most common type of wooden screens is made as a lattice. This is an ordinary rectangle, inside of which is cut out any pattern or pattern. Also often there are whole wooden boxes that are worn on the radiator. True, the cost of these screens, if you do not do them yourself, is not exactly budget.
Such decorative screens are made of transparent or frosted glass. It is thick enough, it is difficult to damage. The drawing on the decorative screen is applied using airbrushing or 3D technology. Also, quite often such models of glass are chosen for photo printing, decorating the batteries with panels with bright patterns. For example, for a children's room stop on the images of characters from popular cartoons.
These models of decorative screens do not differ from glass in quality. True, they are much lighter in weight, they are much easier to install. Also acrylic is thicker than glass, so these screens take up a little more space.
Drawing on the surface is done using airbrushing, 3D technology or photo printing. Therefore, the picture is as bright and beautiful as it is on glass screens.
Screens from plastic
Plastic is a budgetary material, so the prices for such screens are among the lowest. In appearance, such decorative elements resemble wooden ones. The main advantages of plastic screens for heating radiators are: affordable price, a wide variety of shapes and colors. Also on the surface can be applied airbrushing or ZD-drawing.
The plastic screen does not dry out as much as a wooden one. But it quickly loses a clear shape due to frequent temperature changes. Therefore, such screens are recommended to be changed every five years.
Decorative screens for radiators of heating metal are the most durable among all presented models. They are not corroded, are not afraid of temperature changes and low humidity, and the service life is not less than the life of the battery itself. Such decorative screens are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
The only drawback of metal models is the high price.
The role of screens in interior design
Decorative screens for radiators (photo-example can be viewed above) are designed to perform the following functions:
- Visual. The screens help not only hide the inconspicuous radiators, but also significantly transform the interior of the room. Thus, they make the home visually more stylish and attractive.
- Protective. The screen is a kind of barrier that prevents contact with a hot battery. Thus, it increases the level of safety, but does not prevent the generation of heat.
- Hygienic. The screen minimizes the risk of dust and dirt entering the radiators, which not only spoil the appearance of the room, but can also cause corrosion. And the decorative element is much easier to wash.
Methods of installing decorative screens
Installation of decorative screens for radiators is carried out depending on the design features. It can be:
- A bailout box that completely hides the heating equipment.
- Hinged screen with cover. Used most often in cases where the battery protrudes strongly from under the windowsill.
- A hinged screen without a cover. Installed in cases where the battery does not look out from under the windowsill.
- A flat screen covers the radiator, which is mounted in a niche (for example, from plasterboard).
Proceeding from this, decorative screens can be installed in different ways: to the wall, to the floor, to the niche. Then you need to drill holes, put screws in them and twist them. Also there are designs that are moved to the radiator, and at the top are simply attached with small hooks. Hinged decorative screens generally do not require special fastenings. As a rule, they are hung on radiators and are held by a curved shape.
Some models can be installed without the help of wizards.
Make a decorative screen yourself
The instruction how most to make the screen for a radiator of heating from a tree:
- Prepare racks of wood, screws, nails like dowels, plywood, a stapler for furniture, racks or thin twigs, a hammer, PVA glue, a screwdriver and a hacksaw.
- Measure the size of the battery. You need to know its width, height and depth. Add a few centimeters to the figures.
- Measure the distance from the wall to the future screen and also add a few centimeters to allow the air to circulate well.
- Create a frame from the slats.
- Mount the frame to the wall using self-tapping screws.
- Attach the plywood to the sides of the frame.
- Make a decorative grid of thin rods or twigs. To do this, first make a frame. And already on it it is possible to fasten реечки.
- Fix the grate to the frame.
As you can see, the decorative screen can be easily done by yourself. But if you want more refined design solutions (for example, forged elements on the front or colorful prints), you will have to contact specialized stores.