Today for many people yoga is not just a hobby or one-off classes, but a whole way of life. Spiritual practice includes meditation, breathing exercises and performing various poses (asanas) in complexity. Each of them affects certain energy centers of a person and helps to strengthen physical health and spirit.
The most difficult and powerful in its impact is the pose of the scorpion. How to make it right and how to prepare to get the most positive effect?
Variants of asana
The posture of the scorpion (or vrsicikasana) refers to the so-called inverted asanas. It is performed in three versions: on the chest, on the forearms and on the arms. The first is called urdhwaikapada vrsicikasana. This asana is a kind of miniature posture of a scorpion, its preparatory stage. The technique of execution of all variants is similar. The difference is only in the level of the load. From yoga, the pose of a scorpion in any version requires some physical preparation: flexibility, stretching, strength in the hands and a sense of balance.
Technique of execution 1: on the chest
The starting position is lying on the stomach. The legs are straight, the arms are parallel to each other and lie at the level of the shoulder joints. Thumbs forward. The elbows should be raised and pressed tightly against the body.
Then you need to lift the pelvis above the floor, bending your knees and pushing them forward. But attention! If the knees are too close to move forward, you can create a compression situation in the cervical region. And this can have negative consequences. The position is considered correct if it is comfortable to turn the head sideways. The weight of the body should be transferred to the chest, while the hands are free and participate only in maintaining the balance.
The next stage is raising feet. First it is necessary to straighten and lift the right leg as much as possible. In this position, several breathing cycles should be performed.
Then it is necessary to straighten the supporting left leg. Raise the body above the floor. The elbow joints should form an angle of 90 degrees. Stability in this position is ensured by tightly pressed hands to the body. It is on them that the main body weight is transferred. The body must be as long as possible and tensioned like a string. The top of the head stretches forward.
The last stage is the most difficult. On it the supporting left leg rises. The emphasis is on the hands and chin. Attention! The chin is the third point of balance, the basic weight of the body should be transferred to the hands. This will prevent overload of the cervical spine.
Now it is necessary to bend more strongly in a loin and a thorax. Stops feet to guide to the head, slightly bending the knees. A lightweight version of this asana is considered to be the transfer of body weight to the chest, while the hands are extended backwards with the palms facing upwards.
Urdhwaikapada vrishikasana helps to strengthen the muscles of the back, arms and chest. In the future this will be a useful and quality training for the racks on the hands. No matter how difficult and tricky the pose of the scorpion was described, photos will always help you to follow it step-by-step.
Technique of execution 2: on forearms
The starting position is kneeling. Hands bend in the elbows and put on the floor. For greater stability, the elbows are apart.
The third point of support is the head. Legs with the help of the press both lift up. Thus, it turns out a stand on the head. Body weight is evenly distributed over three points of support. In this position, it is necessary to linger to perform several breathing cycles.
Then smoothly translate the weight on the elbows, bend the lower back, knees slightly bend. The head is now raised, the look is directed forward or upward. The socks of the feet are tight. The main body weight is transferred to the forearm. Fingers participate in maintaining balance.
Technique of execution 3: on hands
The scorpion posture in full version is executed standing on hands. This is the highest level of complexity.
The initial position and technique of breathing and lifting the legs, as in the urdhwaikapad vrishikasana. After both legs were on top, the bend of the scorpion is accepted, remains on exhalation with the help of a powerful press to straighten your arms, lifting the body above the floor.
The exit from asana also has options:
- You can just as smoothly sink to the floor, bending your elbows. First, lower the left foot to the toe, then right. Straighten the knees and take the starting position (lying on the stomach).
- Another option involves the alternate preponderance of the legs forward, behind the head (if flexibility allows). Thus, the body takes the position of the bridge. The weight of the body passes to the legs and, thanks to the muscles of the back, there is an ascent.
Whatever option the yogi chooses, it should be as smooth as possible and be accompanied by a control over the breath.
The scorpion posture has a very unusual and powerful effect on the human body.
- Practically all muscle groups work in the performance of this asana. So there is a complete strengthening of the body. Improves blood circulation.
- The brain is also saturated with blood and oxygen, which contributes to its greater activity.
- The pose of a scorpion requires the participation of the whole organism. Together with breathing exercises, it removes energy blocks, dissipates stagnation of blood in organs that are located below the heart. This quality is especially useful for people with intestinal diseases, varicose veins.
- Deep breaths and exhalations with such complexity asanas are simply impossible. Therefore, the pose of the scorpion in yoga is intended for training of shallow breathing. And this is a great training for capillaries.
- In addition, the pose of the scorpion strengthens the hands, the shoulder joints, develops the flexibility of the spine and a sense of balance, normalizes the functioning of the reproductive system.
It must be remembered that this asana is traumatic. Attention, responsibility and considerable physical effort - this is what will require the performer to pose the scorpion. A photo with a detailed image of each stage will help you better prepare and realize your capabilities. To secure the asana it is recommended to conduct with the instructor or near the wall. Despite such a strong positive effect, this asana has a number of contraindications.
- It is forbidden to perform it to people with high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Contraindications are cerebral thrombosis and dizziness.
- Women during the menstrual cycle also should not perform the scorpion posture, like all other inverted asanas.