Almost every day, the popularity of such a system of growing vegetables, fruits and herbs, like hydroponics, is increasing. What is it, know not all, and therefore some people mistakenly believe that this is another novelty from agronomists. In fact, it's not like that at all.
What is hydroponics?
I think many know about one of such wonders of the world, like the Hanging Gardens of Semiramis. In fact, they are nothing more than a hydroponic garden. That is, a few thousand years ago, not only was it known, but hydroponics was also actively used. What is it, know a few, but from the very name it becomes clear that we are talking about some kind of water system for growing vegetables, greens and even fruits.
This system is a special technique, thanks to which you can grow the necessary crops without using soil, only with the use of a special solution.
The hydroponics system includes several key aspects that are key to a successful harvest:
- The correct solution. It should be understood that it is required to use different microelements to feed each plant. Therefore, it is very important to choose them in the right proportions.
- Optimum temperature regime.
- Favorable level of illumination.
Only if these three basic conditions are met can we expect that this way of cultivation will be productive and productive. To date, hydroponics technology allows you to grow any greens, lettuce, as well as many varieties of fruits and vegetables. However, like any other growing system, hydroponics (which has already been described above) has its advantages and disadvantages.
Pros and cons of this technology
So, you should start with the pluses:
- This system can be used both in enclosed spaces and under the open sky, the main thing to remember about the three basic rules that have been described above;
- Increases the yield and growth rate of the plants themselves, especially for greenery and ornamental crops;
- Obtaining environmentally friendly products; This plus is explained simply - there is no land, and therefore there are no harmful impurities that can be deposited in plants;
- Almost complete absence of risk of fungal diseases, which are affected by crops planted in the soil.
So, apparently, hydroponics has many positive qualities, but it has two significant disadvantages:
- It is necessary to have a lot of knowledge in the field of growing those plants that were chosen, without them you can not even count on getting a high yield;
- The creation of this system requires investment, especially in the creation of a hydroponic system in a closed ground.
Why do we need this technology?
Despite the fact that hydroponics (what it is, you now know) is in high demand, not all people understand why it is needed at all. In fact, everything here is simple. The use of this system makes it possible to substantially increase the amount of crop in the case of a deficit of fertile soil. In addition, hydroponic units of compact size are now available for sale, which can be used even in a small apartment. Thus, the use of this technology allows you to receive greens, fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants all year round, both for personal consumption and for sale.