It is often possible to hear complaints from women that hair falls out during pregnancy. Unfortunately, this is a fairly common phenomenon associated with the physiological changes that occur in the body during the period of gestation.
A bit of theory
In order to understand why hair falls out during pregnancy, it is worthwhile to understand what is happening in the female body during this period. Rebuilding internal processes begins with an increase in the level of estrogen in the blood. It ensures the normal functioning of the uterus and the development of the fetus. Moreover, this hormone has a beneficial effect on the state of ringlets. Thus, pregnancy is a great time to grow a long and thick head of hair.
By the third trimester the situation can dramatically change. As the fetus grows, the body begins to feel an acute shortage of trace elements, because all reserves are directed to the normal development of the baby. Naturally, this happens at the expense of the mother's body, and the first to suffer hair, nails and teeth. That is why in the second half of the period it is recommended to pay special attention to nutrition.
If hair falls out during pregnancy, it is much more noticeable than in the usual state. The fact is that during the fetal period all resources are directed specifically at the development of the baby, and its own regeneration processes stop. So, on a place of each dropped out hair does not begin to grow new. These processes will start working again only after some time after delivery.
Causes of hair loss
The fact that hair fall out during pregnancy is quite natural, because all the resources of the body are aimed specifically at the development of the fetus. It is understandable that women do not want to part with their luxurious head of hair. To deal with the problem, you need to understand the main reasons:
- Lack of useful substances in the body (calcium, zinc, iron and others);
- Infectious diseases or inflammatory processes;
- Improper care or non-compliance with hygiene rules;
- Malnutrition or inadequate nutrition;
- sleep disturbance;
- Depressive and stressful conditions;
- Skin problems;
- weak immunity.
Condition of hair in the postpartum period
Pregnancy is a joyful, but at the same time a difficult period (both emotionally and physiologically). It would seem that after the birth the situation should improve. Nevertheless, even after pregnancy hair falls out strongly. This is largely due to a change in the hormonal background (the level of estrogen decreases), as well as the composition of the blood. As for minerals, they are redirected to the enrichment of breast milk, but not to strengthen the hair follicles.
Do not forget about the factor of stress. Often there is a phenomenon such as postpartum depression (especially if it was the first time for a woman). In addition, the infant "establishes" his "orders" in the house, and therefore there is a shortage of time for sleep and rest.
Thus, hair loss after pregnancy is a completely normal process. It can last from 6 months to 2 years, until the body is fully restored.
Why do hair fall out after pregnancy?
Having dealt with the theory, it is necessary to clearly identify the causes of hair loss after childbirth. These include:
- Lack of useful substances (if during pregnancy they were directed to the development of the fetus, then after birth - to form the optimal composition of breast milk);
- Depressive state, nervous stress;
- Insomnia and lack of rest;
- A change in the hormonal background (a sharp decrease in the level of estrogen);
Many women lose hair very much during pregnancy. To prevent such a situation, one should be guided by such basic rules:
- Adjust your diet. The goal of eating food should be not only to satisfy hunger, but also to saturate the body with nutrients. To hair fall out less, include in the diet more foods containing B vitamins, as well as calcium. Develop a menu together with your doctor.
- Rearrange your lifestyle so that it fits your position. Try as much as possible to rest and walk in the fresh air. Protect yourself from negative emotions, refrain from strong physical exertion.
- Pay attention to hair care. Take the rule of using shampoos on a natural basis. Use folk remedies that will strengthen hair bulbs.
If you lose hair during pregnancy, you can try to solve the problem by folk methods. To strengthen the bulbs and stop the fallout will help the following recipes:
- Slice a few slices of rye bread, lightly filling them with boiling water. After washing your head, while the hair is still wet, rub the resulting gruel into the roots, massaging the skin intensively with your fingers. For 20 minutes, leave the mask for exposure, warming the head with a film and a towel.
- Milk whey slightly warm up and mix with the egg yolk. While the composition is still warm, quickly distribute it on the scalp, wrap it with a film and a towel. After half an hour, rinse your hair well with shampoo.
- Regularly treat hair with colorless henna. It is enough to dilute the contents of the sachet with water (to the state of thick sour cream) and apply to the roots (the remains can be spread over the hair). After 15-30 minutes, rinse with water and shampoo. If henna particles remain in the hair, they can be combed out when the hair is already dry.
- Mix castor and burdock oil. Before application, heat the mixture and rub into the scalp. Residue distribute along the entire length or plentifully lubricate the tips. Wrap the head with a film, warm it with a towel, and after 40-60 minutes wash your hair.
When hair falls out during pregnancy, there are many ways to strengthen them. The most effective of these is rinsing with herbal decoctions every time you wash your hair. The most popular are the following recipes:
- Two handfuls of dried honeysuckle should be filled with a liter of water. Put on the fire, bring to a boil and protil under the closed lid for another quarter of an hour. And in half an hour the ready broth should be filtered.
- Take a tablespoon of mother-and-stepmother and dried nettle. Boil and immediately remove from heat. The broth should be infused for about an hour, after which it must be filtered.
- Take 2 tablespoons of roots of ayr, burdock and hops. Pour the raw material with a liter of boiling water and let stand for several minutes. Put the vessel on a fire for boiling for 5 minutes. When the broth cools down, it must be filtered.
It often happens that during and after pregnancy hair falls out strongly. What should I do to prevent this? Take on the following useful tips:
- Reduce to a minimum the number of sweets consumed, conservation, as well as smoked and sharp products;
- Regularly "refresh" the hairstyle, pruning the tips of the tips;
- Avoid extreme temperatures during washing your head (water should be warm);
- Choose for hair care products with the mark "Intensive Care";
- Pay attention to natural shampoos (they should contain ginseng, tea tree oil, panthenol, rosemary extract, etc .;
- For the period of pregnancy and lactation, completely refrain from drying hair with a hairdryer, as well as thermo-laying;
- Get a comb with wooden teeth or with natural bristles;
- And in the cold and hot season, hide curls under the headdress.
If during or after pregnancy hair falls out, what to do, women themselves will prompt themselves, who have already experienced this condition on themselves. At the women's forums, you can find the following tips that will help keep your head in a healthy state:
- If the second half of pregnancy falls on summer and autumn, the basis of the diet should be vegetable food (it is a question of natural vegetables and fruits that can be purchased from summer residents);
- In a small container with a nebulizer it is necessary to pour the purified water and add a few drops of oil solutions of vitamins A and E (in summer heat or in winter, when the air in the premises is overdried, it is necessary to regularly spray the curls with the obtained composition);
- Immediately before washing your head add to the shampoo oil vitamins (you can alternate them or add the whole cocktail at once);
- If you are just planning a pregnancy, you should protect yourself from the problem in advance by organizing an intensive course of taking vitamins and minerals.
Severity of the problem
If your hair falls out badly during pregnancy, this is not a reason for panic. Of course, it is unpleasant to see negative changes in appearance, but it is worthwhile to understand that this is a natural process. However, sometimes the loss of hair is so strong that it is simply not possible to panic. In some cases, you really need to seek help from a trichologist.
To assess the condition of the curls, remove one hair from the comb and carefully inspect it. The bulb should be light. If it is dark, consult a doctor.
If you have not found any negative changes in the condition of the bulb, but the amount of hair falling out is still bothering you, you should make sure that this is really a problem, not a suspiciousness of a pregnant woman. To do this, you can run the following test:
- Do not wash your head for a couple of days;
- In the morning, without combing, collect hair in the palm of your hand and gently pull up, sliding your hand over them;
- Hairs that remained in the hand, set aside;
- Repeat this manipulation 2 more times;
- Count the hairs that fell out;
- If there are 15 or fewer, everything is within the limits of the norm, and if their number significantly exceeds this figure, there is an occasion to apply to the trichologist.
Unfortunately, the happiness of becoming a mother sometimes has to be paid for by the attractiveness of the exterior. One of the most important problems is that hair falls out during pregnancy. What to do? Of course, it is worthwhile to form the resources of the body at the planning stage of conception, taking vitamin complexes. As for the period of pregnancy itself, it is important to revise the ways of hair care, as well as to properly organize meals.