Coolant is one of the components of the smooth and proper operation of engine components. Sooner or later there is a need to replace the coolant in the car. Every car owner should know how to change the coolant, after all, there are not always available funds for STO services.
Also, we should not overlook the fact that not all stations are operated by bona fide workers. Therefore, if you want to do well, it's best to do it yourself. So, today we will answer the question of how to change the coolant.
There are many types of coolants for a vehicle. However, its choice should be taken with maximum responsibility, since the coolant of poor quality can lead to engine overheating. And this will turn into global problems with the power unit.
For several decades many car owners used water. However, its use had several main disadvantages:
- Low boiling point, which led to engine overheating on hot summer days.
- Freezing of water at 0 ° C, which causes the expansion of the water volume, which eventually leads to the destruction of the block.
- Scaling on metal parts.
To get rid of such problems it was possible with the use of antifreeze (non-freezing liquid). There are several types:
- Antifreeze based on glycol.
- Based on propylene glycol.
All of the listed liquids perfectly perform the functions of observing the temperature regime of the engine.
It is worth remembering that you can not mix these liquids. Using one of the above coolants, you can forever forget about the problems of boiling and freezing it in the engine.
Why should I change
Coolant is needed to control the temperature of the engine. When the engine is running, fuel burns. In this case, a high temperature is detected inside the cylinders. As a result, thermal energy heats up the metal elements of the engine - these are pistons, cylinder head, cylinders.
Thanks to a thoughtful cooling system, the liquid collects heat and transfers it to the radiator. In addition to the main function of controlling the heat and recycling it from the engine to the radiator, the coolant has additional functions. The liquid is also intended for lubricating the water pump of the motor. The replacement of the coolant is approximately 50,000 km. Upon reaching this period, the tosol loses its heat release properties.
In addition, pollutants start to appear in the coolant, which flow throughout the cooling system. If you do not make a timely replacement of the coolant, the mud will start clogging the water channels of the engine, which will subsequently lead to engine overheating and expensive repairs.
What to prepare for replacement
Answering the question how to change the coolant, it is necessary to prepare:
- Latex gloves.
- Capacity for draining the coolant.
- A set of keys.
- Overpass or lift.
- Pure water.
- New coolant.
How to change the coolant on VAZ-2107
After the driver picked up the best, in his opinion, refrigerant, you need to make a replacement fluid. Initially, it is worthwhile to drive the car to a pit, a lift or a flyover, by placing the wheels under the wheels necessarily with anti-kickers and setting the gear lever to the 1st speed position.
Next, you need to disconnect the "minus" terminal from the battery. If the vehicle has additional crankcase protection, it must be unscrewed, since in some cases it significantly hinders drainage of the coolant.
How to change the coolant
- A prepared container for the old coolant is installed under the radiator drain cock. It is necessary to wait for the full discharge of the liquid from the radiator.
- Next, you need to move the tank under the left side of the engine and unscrew the drain bolt from the cylinder block. For best effect, open the cover on the expansion tank.
- After all the liquid from the engine has been drained, it is necessary to screw back all the drain plugs.
- To change the coolant correctly, flush should be carried out. It is necessary to pour well-boiled water into the system. In old versions of cars should be poured into the radiator and the expansion tank. On newer samples, the car is fitted with a radiator without a cover, so the fill is done only through the expansion tank.
- Once the water is flooded, you need to start the engine and allow it to run for 5-10 minutes to rinse the cooling system.
- Drain the water in the same way.
- Then pour the prepared liquid. In order for the system to have no air, it is necessary to pour on the nozzles that approach the radiator. This method is suitable for those cars that have a radiator with a filler neck. You can also go to the hillock, open the radiator cover and get out well. Then you can close the lid.
- There is another way that is suitable for cars with radiators without a cover, only an assistant will be needed. Unscrewing the return hose, which is suitable for the expansion tank, gradually pour the liquid into the tank. As soon as the liquid goes through the return hose without interruption, it will be clear that the cooling system is full. It is necessary to put on a hose on a tank and to add a liquid to the necessary level.
Replacing the coolant sensor
It is worth remembering that to monitor the condition of the antifreeze, it is necessary to check the operation of the coolant temperature sensor. Therefore, you need to know where this device is located. In some cars (for example, VAZ-2114) two temperature sensors are installed. One outputs the temperature to the instrument panel, and the other switches the fan drive on or off.
How do I change the engine coolant temperature sensor ? For this you need:
- Drain the coolant from the system.
- Remove the "minus" terminal from the battery.
- Disconnect the connector from the sensor.
- Using a wrench, unscrew the sensor and screw in a new one.
- Next, connect the wires to the sensor.
This completes the sensor replacement procedure.