News and SocietyEnvironment

Tannery on Vasilievsky Island

Vasilievsky Island is a special place in St. Petersburg. It is with him associated many pages of the formation and development of the city. On one of the island's places and will now go speech.

Vasilievsky Island: pages of the "original" history of St. Petersburg

The very first stage of development and development of young St. Petersburg is connected with the Petrograd side (then Berezov, or Fomin Island), or rather with Troitskaya Square: it was there that the first center of St. Petersburg was located and life was boiling.

After the relocation to St. Petersburg in 1712 of all government agencies and close associates of Peter I, the city became the capital of the Russian state. And the king decided to move the center of the city to Vasilievsky Island, which was located at the site of the division of the Neva into two large arms, the Bolshaya and Malaya Neva, and emerged along the coastline to the bay, and was therefore more suitable for the development of trade and navigation. And the port was decided to be transferred to its arrow.

Development of the city's development plan in 1714 was commissioned to make the first architect of St. Petersburg, Domenico Trezzini, but the French architect Jean Baptiste Leblon, who arrived in 1716 in the northern city, received the same task: Peter I did not suit the Trezzini project, which was made at that time. But the project of Leblon Peter did not like. It was decided to return to the Trezzini plan, but finalized taking into account the remarks of the king. The basis for the island's development plan lay the system of canals that perpendicularly cross the island and each other.

However, for some reason the canals that started digging were not dug, and instead of them, streets appeared, where each side was a line. They crossed three avenues: Bolshoy, Middle and Maly.

Vasilievsky Island is the center of the city's industry

From the very beginning, St. Petersburg began to develop as an industrial center. Under Peter the Great, sawmills appeared here in 1703-1704, and a little later - the Powder Yard, Green Workshops, etc.

In the second half of the XIX - beginning of the XX century large plants appeared in the southern and northern parts of the island, such as the Pipe Plant (the branch of the St. Petersburg Cartridge Plant), the Cable Plant, Siemens-Schukkert and Siemens-Galske, Devices, and in the years of the First World War, switched to the production of equipment for military equipment, the Baltic plant - the center for the production of ships for the Baltic Fleet, etc.

Tanning line in St. Petersburg

The line was located on one side along the shore of the Gulf of Finland, and therefore the name had - Beregovaya. In the second half of the 18th century, on the street in the houses No. 5 and No. 6 Kramp was founded a cable factory, and in other houses of the line there were various enterprises.

The name, now existing, was given to it only in 1845. What is this - Tanning line? This is the place associated with the production of tanning products that opened here: the tanneries began to function first, the leather processing and dressing shops, and then the private factories, which by the end of the century there were already nine on the island. One of them was the plant of Nikolai Mokeevich Brusnitsyn. In addition, the leather factory Yegorovy was located in the village No. 31, in the building No. 32 - the building of the Vladimir tannery, in the No. 34 - the cotton factory Y. Lyutsha.

In dd. No. 17 and No. 18 housed a foundry mechanical plant, founded by Carr and MacPherson. Gradually, its territory greatly increased and began to occupy the plots from No. 7 to No. 26. In the houses No. 38-40 and No. 39 there was a plant "Siemens - Galske". In the village No. 23 there is a factory for the production of phonograph records.

In addition to tannery enterprises, the warehouse and industrial premises of the cement pipe plant were equipped on the Tanning Line of St. Petersburg.

House of the breeder Brusnitsyn

The site next to the one now on the Tannery line occupies the house under No. 27, at the end of the 18th century belonged to the widow of merchant Anna Catherine Fisher. She had to organize a tannery in this territory.

Near the same line sold a residential stone house with a office, which in the XIX century bought NM Brusnitsyn, where he settled with his family. And then he began to build a tannery here and develop production. After the death of Nikolai Mokeevich, his son Nikolai Nikolayevich continued his business, a real state councilor and an honorary citizen. Industrial buildings of red brick and now you can still see at the specified address.

But the house under number 27 was rebuilt and became so luxurious that he entered the treasury of architectural masterpieces of Petersburg as one of the finest mansions erected in the eclectic style. In fact, originally this house was rebuilt by A. S. Andreev, who added an additional volume from the west, increased the windows of the first floor and the height of the second floor. Then, AI Kovsharov, the height of the second floor was further increased and an extension was added from the east - for the main staircase. In the courtyard, the Winter Garden was organized, for which a greenhouse was built.

The facade of the mansion is decorated with rustic furniture in the form of rectangular blocks of small size on the first floor, and on the second - in the piers between the windows in the form of elongated rectangles turned horizontally. In addition, the second floor is decorated with one rectangular and two semicircular bay windows, triangular and archway gables, sandricks above the windows and moldings in the form of garlands.

After the revolution of 1917, the building passed to the tannery. Radishchev became the plant manager.

Neighboring building No. 25 was built by the same AI Kovsharov as a dwelling for the workers of the tannery Brusnitsyny.


Winery Peretz on the leather line was founded in the early XIX century. The architect of the structure was the famous Petersburg architect Vikenti Ivanovich Beretti, and in the second half of the century, his equally famous architect, Rudolf Bogdanovich Bernhard, built the third floor.

The front facade of the house is decorated with three classic porticos. And the walls are painted in the color of red brick.

From 1820 to 1850, the Wine Store of the Treasury Chamber was located in this house, and then the building was taken over by the Vladimir Tannery. Recall that the same plant belonged to the neighboring building under No. 32.

Siemens - Halske

Next to the historic building of the cable factory, located in the house number 40, there are two amazing buildings in contrast with the industrial construction: a fairly dilapidated wooden house and a small turret, reminiscent of Gothic buildings. This is at home No. 36-38. Probably, the owners of the plant lived in them.

The wooden dwelling house was erected on a stone foundation with a high socle and is folded in the form of a frame from logs according to the traditions of Old Russian architecture.

One-storey house has six windows on the front facade and three windows along the front, a residential attic furnished and an attic with three windows. Decorative finish is laconic and executed in the style of folk carving. The carvings decorate the attic and the second floor of the front facade together with the pediment. Also decorative carved slats trimmed and window frames.

The wing with a Gothic turret is built of stone or brick, plastered and painted with red-brown paint.

The decor of the facades is very strict: they are painted white. The round turret is crowned with an elongated octagonal with a slightly curved edge, which is decorated with a Latin cross on top. Most likely, it was a family or factory church - Catholic, since the founders of the plant were Germans - Werner Siemens and Johann Halske, inventors and engineers.

In the panoramas of St. Petersburg Tanning line occupied a special place - the industrial center of Vasilievsky Island. It created an impression of the city as a major industrial center, and with the opening and development of the Baltic plant - as a modern center of shipbuilding. So, it played a big role in creating and strengthening the image of Russia in the international arena.

Similar articles





Trending Now






Copyright © 2018 Theme powered by WordPress.