Quilling - a great lesson for both children and adults, thanks to him with leisure activities. The technique of creating compositions of thin stranded strips is not only entertaining, but also useful, since you can decorate the house yourself and make an original gift to a loved one.
It is believed that art appeared in medieval Europe, where monks made medallions, book covers and framing for icons. To do this, they wound on the tip of the pen paper strips with gilded edges in advance, which created an imitation of a miniature of gold. In the XV-XVI centuries quilling was called art, in the XIXth century it became a woman's entertainment, and most of the XX was completely forgotten. Only at the end of the last century such an occupation returned and became interesting to many.
Two-sided colored strips can be purchased at the store or manufactured independently at home to save money. The selected material depends on the master and on his preferences. Many professionals like to produce raw materials with their own hands, because thanks to this they invest more energy in the work. The width of the strips for quilling can be 2, 3, 5 and 10 mm.
Quality paper must meet certain characteristics and properties.
1. It is obliged to be not very easy, but also not heavy, just to wind up, and after - to evenly open, while preserving the intended form.
2. Select a light-resistant material, so that the products retain a presentable appearance for a long time. When storing strips for quilling should be well packed, since direct sunlight can still slightly distort the color range of future masterpieces.
3. Raw materials need to choose a quality, so that the master, if desired, can cover the tape with golden and silvery aerosols or varnishes. To do this, it is necessary to distribute the material well and fix it from several sides, and afterwards apply decorative elements, then wait for the complete drying.
4. For more delicate and refined works, parchment is often acquired, since it has a pastel color.
In order to make strips for quilling yourself, special tools are needed. The process of cutting will become much easier if you buy a ready-made set for creativity. But you can fantasize and make it yourself from improvised materials that will be found in any home. However, there is such an inventory that it will be difficult to replace something. First of all, it is a self-healing mat, which is very convenient to use. Thanks to it, furniture does not deteriorate and each time one does not need to look for a place on which strips for quilling will be cut. Another very handy tool is a round or clerical knife, which is easy to cut a prepared sheet of paper.
Scissors are also used, but this will take a lot longer, and the effect will be slightly worse, as they break the tips. You will need a ruler to measure and draw a line at the right distance.
If there is a desire to engage in ribbon art, it is required to know how to make strips for quilling yourself. There are several ways to make them:
1. It is necessary to prepare a sheet, on which the distance of the future tape is marked on both sides. Then take a 20-30-centimeter iron ruler and attach it to the points, and then, using an acute paper knife, draw a line. It is best to do this on a self-healing mat, but if it does not, then the surface is perfect, which will not be a pity to cut. The blade is carried from the top down, so it is necessary to continue until the end of the sheet. This method is considered one of the fastest and easiest.
2. If it is possible to use a personal or office shredder to destroy documents, then tapes can be produced very much in a short time. The main disadvantage of this technique is that the strips of quilling paper will always be the same size. The advantage of this method is the ability to quickly cut any chocolate or candy wrappers and unnecessary leaves, all this is used as an improvised material for creativity. Represents a rather original idea, since the product always turns out to be interesting and unusual.
3. You can also prepare the material using a torch. The advantage is the ability to manufacture ribbons of any size. Negative aspects include the high cost of the tool, as well as the need for certain skills. You need a confident, firm hand and a good eye.
There is a method in which you do not need to independently plan A4 sheets to cut them into quilling strips. A template is often used for such works, and it can be produced using a computer program. To do this, in Word, you need to draw a table and set the number of columns in it, depending on the width of the required tape. And also in the program the thickness of lines is chosen. To set all necessary parameters, you need to select the desired fragment and click on it with the right mouse button, find the "Table Properties" tab, in this section all the criteria are set. After the task is completed, a template is printed on the specially selected paper, and then the sheet is cut into the right size ribbons.
What can be done from strips
As mentioned above, quilling is an art, thanks to which there are real masterpieces. But first you need to figure out what forms can be useful for creating the most simple crafts.
"The Arrow." The wrapping is assembled in a triangle, the middle of which is pressed inward.
"The Droplet." It is obtained by transferring the center of the spiral to the side to form a swirling tip.
- Leaf. The spiral is compressed, and then it descends from two sides.
"The Half-Circle." The tape is twisted and tied at the edges, and the formed space with one of the parts is leveled.
- The Triangle. This is the same "drop", but with a rounded and flattened part.
"The Crescent." It's a little squeezed middle of the previous element.
It is important to know that all forms are necessarily fixed with glue.
Open (they are created without winding the spiral):
"Heart." Two strips of paper fold in half, and after the ends folded inside.
- "Curl". The edges of the tapes are twisted in all sorts of directions.
"The Horns." The parts are joined together, and then folded into different edges using scissors.
- "Branches". Both sides are fastened in a ratio of 1: 2, and then are wound simultaneously by two parts along a single line.
The device for screwing ribbons can be purchased in specialized stores, where goods for creative work are sold. It is not very expensive and convenient enough to use. It is a long handle, on which there is a bifurcated metal tip.
Such a device can be made with your own hands, with the help of it it will be very convenient to wind up strips for quilling. It is necessary to take a toothpick and cut it from two sides so as to remove the sharp ends. Then, using a knife, a 1 cm long cut is required.
When preparing a tool, you can use one more option. For him it is necessary to saw off the tip of the needle from the side of the eye so that a forked "fork" turns out, and with a sharp end stick it into the cork or into a simple brush, after removing the bristles from it. This device perfectly fits any size of strips for quilling.
But still a professional device is more convenient and easy to operate.
To connect twisted tapes it is necessary to use glue, most often PVA is used. Those who perform large works, for example paintings, can purchase a liter jar and pour it into small containers for ease and convenience.
And also many professionals use an adhesive gun with which to fix strips for quilling. Its composition does not require time to freeze, you can immediately proceed to the next work without fear of shifting the elements.